“This city is what it is because our citizens are what they are.”Plato
A long time ago, our ancestors left Earth behind and embarked on the greatest voyage of exploration in the history of humankind. Travelling some 7000 light years in cryogenic suspension, they eventually settled Gibson, a steamy hot planet in the Milky Way’s Perseus Arm.
Over the past two hundred years, we’ve made Gibson into our home. Our population has grown to a hundred million people – not counting any Artificial Intelligences. And while our colony has matured, there are a number of problems we have to contend with. Social issues, from unemployment and poverty to human-AI interactions, an unprecedented series of terrorist attacks, and last but not least the eternal heat – Gibson is hot enough that parts of the planetary surface are deadly, and that heat is a major public health issue.
Welcome to Gibson City.
Articles about Gibson
- Pioneers Landing National Park – A District of Gibson CityThe largest Urban Park is a place for relaxation and fun for the whole family. Beware the ghosts of the past, and make sure nobody goes missing.
- Manifesto of the Humanity Party of GibsonThere’s a lot of political strife (“discourse” if you want to be nice) on Gibson. The Humanity Party is one of the many, many groups that fight for a particular ideology.
- The Valley of SteelSeventy years ago, what should have been a routine survey flight led to the death of the pilot under mysterious circumstances.
- Join the Universal BrotherhoodThe Universal Brotherhood promises freedom from pain and suffering. A place where you belong. Join today!
- Seven AIs You May Not Have Heard OfA segment on “Good Morning Gibson” about seven artificial intelligences.
- The Calendar used on GibsonWhy does Gibson use Earth years? How long is a Gibson day? And how did the Gibsonians design a working calendar?
- Messages to the President of GibsonFive Messages sent to Colonial President Richard T. Adams from various sources.
- Who’s Who on GibsonA list of inhabitants of Gibson. This article will be updated when new people become known.
- Gibson’s Solar SystemDetails about the Gibson Solar System, a binary star system in the Perseus Arm, and the human activity occurring within.
- A Timeline of GibsonA Brief History of Gibson City. This timeline will be updated when new data becomes available.
- Gibson City’s Paradise ShoresIn Gibson City’s Southwestern area lies a district known as Paradise Shores – Beautiful beaches, gorgeous sunsets, and a party that never ends. If you can afford it.
- An Overview of the Government of GibsonThe various tiers and departments of the government of the colony world Gibson, with a note about AI rights and human-machine relations.
- The First SettlersLong before the Pioneers first landed on Gibson, the mysterious First Settlers explored the planet. Who were they?
- Prosperity DayProsperity Day, the annual celebration of the founding of the Gibson Colony, is approaching. And this year is a very special occasion!
- Featured Image: “Empty Singapore-Malaysia Causeway 2”, by Lionel Lim. Used under cc-by License.